Water Birth Benefits
Benefits for Mother:
- Water is soothing, comforting, relaxing.
- In the later stages of labor, the water seems to increase the woman’s energy.
- Water birth coined as an “aquadural” or “wetepidural” and is safer, more effective and economical than an epidural.
- Pain significantly reduced by blocking nerve impulses of pain to the brain known as the Gate Theory of Pain.
- Fewer birth canal injuries, vagina, perineum and vulva .
- The buoyancy lessens her body weight, allows free movement and new positioning.
- Buoyancy promotes more efficient uterine contractions and better blood circulation, resulting in better oxygenation of the uterine muscles, less pain for the mother, and more oxygen for the baby.
- Immersion in water often helps lower high blood pressure caused by anxiety.
- Water seems to alleviate stress-related hormones, allowing the mother’s body to produce endorphins, which are pain-inhibitors.
- Water causes the perineum to become more elastic and relaxes the pelvic floor muscles, which reduces the incidence and severity of tearing and the need for an episiotomy and stitches.
- Reduction of labor length.
- As the laboring women relaxes physically she is able to relax mentally, concentrating her efforts inward on the birth process.
- The water provides a sense of privacy, which releases inhibitions, anxiety, and fears.
- Reduction of Cesareans.
Less blood loss during the birth due to deeper relaxation resulting in hormones such as Oxytocin kicking in quicker.
- Helps to relieve anxiety and promote focusing inward, as labor becomes more intense.
- Moist air assist better breathing for mother specifically if asthmatic
- Facilitates a dysfunctional labor by stimulating dilation of cervix.
- Can speed up normal labors, sometimes resulting in less than a two to four-hour birth in total.
- Effective tool to easing the woman into and through transition to pushing
Benefits for Baby:
- More blood to baby due to better blood circulation in mother.
- Provides a similar environment as the amniotic sac.
- Eases the stress of the birth, providing reassurance and security.
- Less problems with breastfeeding after birth.
- Less trauma to mother means less trauma to baby.
Grapevine Birthing Center has very beautiful birthing tubs in each birth room. Click here to take a tour, (http://www.grapevinebirthingcenter.com/#!grapevine-birth-center-tour/c1yi). Tubs are also available for rent for those who desire a water birth or a tub for relaxation during labor, if you choose a home water birth in the Dallas/Fort Worth area.
Serving the greater Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex area including Dallas, Fort Worth, Keller, North Richland Hills, Irving, Hurst, Euless, and Bedford.